Babies with diaper rash often fuss or cry when the area is touched or cleaned.
In bad cases, the rash can cause pimples, blisters, or other sores on your baby’s diaper area.
If the rash gets infected, it may become bright red and the skin may get swollen.
The rash gets worse despite home treatment.
Can a diaper rash make a baby fussy?
If there are no infectious causes for your baby’s diaper rash, your doctor may tell you that he or she has a diaper dermatitis. The rash can be very uncomfortable and lead to fussy babies and battles over diaper changes because it can be painful when the inflamed area is cleaned.
How do I know if my baby has a diaper rash?
Diaper rash is characterized by the following:
- Skin signs. Diaper rash is marked by red, tender-looking skin in the diaper region — buttocks, thighs and genitals.
- Changes in your baby’s disposition. You may notice your baby seems more uncomfortable than usual, especially during diaper changes.
What should I do if my baby has a diaper rash?
The best treatment for diaper rash is to keep your baby’s skin as clean and dry as possible. If your baby’s diaper rash persists despite home treatment, your doctor may prescribe: A mild hydrocortisone (steroid) cream. An antifungal cream, if your baby has a fungal infection.
How long does a diaper rash last?
Diaper rash usually goes away within 2 to 3 days with home care, although it can last longer.
Are baths good for diaper rash?
Two tablespoons of baking soda in a warm bath will help heal diaper rash and lessen the redness associated with diaper rash. You don’t need to rub the area, just let baby soak a little longer than usual in the bath, about 10 minutes, and wipe with a soft washcloth as you would normally during bath time.
Can teething cause diaper rash?
Teething can trigger diaper rash. When babies are teething, it causes irritability, increased salivation, runny nose, decreased appetite and loose stools. Diarrhea. Prolonged exposure to moisture, urine and feces causes the skin to break down.
How do I know if my diaper rash is bacterial?
- The dark red rash has a slightly raised, distinct border.
- There may be small red bumps or pimples outside the border.
- The skin may be raw, tender, and weepy, but when pustules or pimples burst, it may become scaly and flaky.
- The rash is still hanging around after two or three days of diaper rash treatments.
What is causing my baby’s diaper rash?
Diaper Rash Causes
Friction: Most diaper rash is caused by friction that develops when sensitive baby skin is rubbed by wet diapers. Irritation: The skin under the diaper gets red from irritants such as feces, urine, or cleaning agents.
What is the best ointment for severe diaper rash?
11 Best Diaper Rash Creams
- Earth Mama Angel Bottom Balm.
- Babyganics Diaper Rash Cream.
- Boudreaux’s Butt Paste.
- Desitin Rapid Relief.
- Weleda Sensitive Care Diaper Cream.
- A&D Ointment.
- Cetaphil Baby Diaper Relief Cream.
- Grandma El’s Diaper Rash Ointment.
Photo in the article by “Pixabay”